The Athletic Coaching Endorsement/Certification requires three 60-hour courses as detailed in the NEFEC Master Inservice Plan (MIP). These courses are available online through the American Sport Education Program (ASEP). Other options for training will be posted as they become available.
The Athletic Coaching Endorsement/Certification is available for the following coaches in your district:
1. Current certified teachers who want to add the Athletic Coaching Endorsement to their existing certificate in order to coach on a part-time basis may complete this series (for example, a Math teacher who assists with coaching football).
2. A person who does not currently have a valid teaching certificate and is interested in coaching a school team may complete these courses and apply for a renewable Athletic Coaching Certificate for part-time athletic coaching. This certificate process does not fall under the add-on or endorsement rule, but does follow the process for applying for a regular part-time certificate.
3. A teacher who has "athletic coaching" or "physical education" on a current valid certificate may take some of these courses for inservice points for renewal.
The endorsement requires the completion of three components, each worth 60 points, for a total of 120 inservice points (hours). An additional requirement is a valid cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certificate issued by the American Heart Association, the American Red Cross, or an equivalent CPR course completion card or certificate issued by an entity approved by the Florida Department of Health pursuant to Rule 64E-2.038, F.A.D.
1. NEFEC MIP #1-011-001 Theory and Practice of a Specific Sport (Advanced Specific Sport) - 60 points*
2. NEFEC MIIP #1-011-002 Coaching Theory (Coaching Principles) - 60 points
3. NEFEC MIP #1-011-003 Care and Prevention of Athletic Injuries (Sports First Aid) - 60 points
*There are many options for this requirement, such as football, softball, baseball, soccer, tennis, cheerleading, etc. Choose the course that is most applicable to your needs.
To register for courses, use the following link: http://www.asep.com/asep_content/org/NEFEC.cfm