PCL Level 3
Speed: 167 CPS - Letter240 CPS - Draft
Memory: 512 KB
Graphics: 600 X 300dpi
Color: available as an option
|Courier||6, 12, 24 pt.||5, 10, 16.67, 20 cpi||Upright||Medium||PC-8||Portrait
|Courier||6, 12, 24 pt.||5, 10, 16.67, 20 cpi||Upright||Bold||PC-8||Portrait
|Courier||6, 12, 24 pt.||5, 10, 20 cpi||Italic||Medium||PC-8||Portrait
|Courier||6, 12, 24 pt.||5, 10, 20 cpi||Italic||Bold||PC-8||Portrait
|Letter Gothic||6, 12, 24 pt.||6, 12, 24 cpi||Upright||Medium||PC-8||Portrait
|Letter Gothic||6, 12, 24 pt.||6, 12, 24 cpi||Upright||Bold||PC-8||Portrait
|Letter Gothic||4.75, 9.5, 19 pt||16.67 cpi||Upright||Medium||PC-8||Portrait
|Letter Gothic||4.75, 9.5, 19 pt||16.67 cpi||Upright||Bold||PC-8||Portrait
|Letter Gothic||6, 12, 24 pt.||6, 12, 24 cpi||Italic||Medium||PC-8||Portrait
|Letter Gothic||6, 12, 24 pt.||6, 12, 24 cpi||Italic||Bold||PC-8||Portrait
|CG Times||5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 14 pt.||Proportional||Upright||Medium||PC-8||Portrait
|CG Times||5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 14 pt.||Proportional||Upright||Bold||PC-8||Portrait
|CG Times||5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 14 pt.||Proportional||Italic||Medium||PC-8||Portrait
|CG Times||5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 14 pt.||Proportional||Italic||Bold||PC-8||Portrait
|Univers||5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 14 pt.||Proportional||Upright||Medium||PC-8||Portrait
|Univers||5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 14 pt.||Proportional||Upright||Bold||PC-8||Portrait
|Univers||5, 6, 10, 12 pt||Proportional||Italic||Medium||PC-8||Portrait
|Univers||5, 6, 10, 12 pt||Proportional||Italic||Bold||PC-8||Portrait
The DeskJet 540 does not support optional cartridge/Soft Fonts.
Left: .25 inch
Right: .25 inch
Top: 0 inch
Bottom: .46 inch)
Standard Feeders: One
Paper Tray [capacity: 100 sheets or 20 envelopes]
1. Slide the paper width adjustment lever to the left. The paper width adjustment lever is located below the left corner of the tray.
2. Pull out the paper tray extender. The paper tray extender is located at the center front edge of the tray.
3. Take out a ½ inch (approximately 1 cm) stack of paper (about 100 sheets) and tap the paper edge on a flat surface to even the stack.
4. Insert the stack of paper squarely into the tray, print side down. Make sure the right edge of the paper is aligned again the right wall of the tray.
5. Push the paper tray extender in toward the printer, making sure the paper does not buckle in the tray.
6. Slide the paper width adjustment lever to the right, making sure that the paper does not buckle in the tray. This will ensure that the right edge of the paper is aligned against the right wall of the tray and minimize skewed printing. If you are using US letter (8½ inch x 11 inch) or US legal (8½ inch x 14 inch) size paper, slide the lever back to the left.
Paper size is selected by DIP switches
1. Pull out the paper tray
extender and remove any media from the IN tray.
2. Slide the paper width adjustment lever to the appropriate envelope setting.
3. Remove up to 20 envelopes from their packaging and tap the short edge of the envelopes on a flat surface to even the stack.
4. Slide the envelopes
evenly into the IN tray, address side down (flap side up.
Make sure the creased flap edge of the stack aligns with the
right side of the printer.
6. Slide the paper width adjuster to the right until it aligns with the left edge of the envelopes.
7. Push the paper tray
extender in toward the printer until it stops. Make sure the
envelopes do not bend in the IN tray.
|The resume light is blinking||The
printer is out of media (paper).
The media (paper) is improperly loaded.
The top cover of the printer is open.
The print cartridge is improperly installed.
paper or media in the printer's input tray and press the RESUME
button on the printer control panel.
Remove and reload the media, then press the RESUME button.
Close the top cover and press the RESUME button.
Make sure the print cartridge snaps into place with the green arrow aligned with the dot on the cradle top. Then push the RESUME button.
|Both lights are on||The printer failed||Turn off the printer and turn it on again. If the lights stay on, contact a service person.|
|Both lights are off.||The printer is improperly connected to a power source.||Make sure the power module plug is firmly inserted into the printer's power socket, and the other end of the cord is plugged into an outlet. Turn the power on by pressing the POWER button.|
|The RESUME and POWER lights blink alternately.||The
printer is in an unknown state.
An inappropriate printer driver is selected.
The media is jammed in the printer.
The print carriage is unable to move.
The printer failed or the computer-to-printer connection failed.
the printer off by pressing the POWER button.
Cancel the print job at the computer and turn the printer
Select the HP Deskjet 540 Printer Driver.
Remove the jammed media.
Turn off the printer, open the printer's top cover, and remove anything blocking the movement of the print carriage. Gently move the print carriage to the left and back again with your hand. Then, turn on the printer.
Turn off the printer, disconnect the interface cable from the printer, and turn the printer back on. If the lights continue to blink, the printer has failed. Otherwise the problem my be with the interface cable.
All of the printer settings for the Deskjet 540 are set through a software dialog box instead of dip switches.
For Windows, the settings are located by going to the Control Panel, choosing the Printers icon, and choosing the setup button.
For DOS, type "DJCP" (without the quotes) at the DOS prompt. The Deskjet Control Panel for DOS will appear.
The interface connection is
located on the back of the printer.
Connection: Centronics Female